Friday, August 14, 2009

Hyperemesis is discovered

So the twin puts my Morning Sickness into a different frame - double the trouble indeed. Plus, through the haze of sick I remember that my friend and colleague OS had 6 weeks off work with severe MS after I had emigrated here.

I cannot remember what she called it but open my new book to have a look and see if i can investigate. The book is called 'What to Expect When You Are Expecting' It is massive and American. The front cover is awful! The background graphic is a really ugly quilt and an entirely spray painted woman in the foreground. I just know we would not be friends.

I find the section on morning sickness and there is a little box in the corner called Hyperemesis Gravidaram - That's what OS had! I have all the symptoms - dramatic weight loss (6 kilos in 9 days), food aversions, unable to drink, vomiting way more then 4x a day (try 10+), pytalism, motion sickness, dizzyness. Funnily I do not dwell on it as I am too tired and fall asleep.

OS caused a black cloud being off work for 6 weeks, people don't know about this illness so it is 'unacceptable' to some. It is NOT morning sickness, it more dangerous than that. I totally understand how she would of found work impossible. There is no way in hell she would of even made it to the train station, let alone sat on a moving train and then got into work!

I had no idea of the concept of being very ill from N+V before this but it is seriously bad, bad and dreadful. I am polaxed.




No comments:

Post a Comment