Monday, October 12, 2009

Snow!



Good week!

Sunday started in Banff still. I dropped Bug off around the back of Banff's Sulphur Mountain. There is an old access road to the top of the mountain that you can join if you follow the Bow river along the Sundance Canyon route and turn off. I dropped him off at the Cave and basin venue and he started the 8.5 k walk with 8k of ascending. Not many tourists walk this route as they all go up the front of the mountain that has a million switchbacks and is under tree cover so you cannot see any views.

OR like me they pay $30 to get an 8 minute cable car haha! I would LOVE to be hiking up but I still have to be careful. Yesterday's flat 6ker pooped me out.

However. I get to the top and the view is spectacular. Banff is snowy but up here there is about 5 inches of dry, powdery snow. I love winter in Canada and the Rockies have excellent dry snow. I just want to walk so I start striding down the access road to meet Bug. It is -12 but crispy and I have a million layers on plus my ski kit!
Striding down the mountain is FUN. It is like being on the moon, you are so cushioned by the snow that you cannot get too fast and out of control. It is totally silent and all I can hear is my feet crunching in the snow. After a while I meet Bug and we hike back up to the top...this is harder and takes a lot longer. All I can hear on the way up is my breathing.

Wish that we could live in Banff or Canmore but driving to Calgary on H1 in winter is not enjoyable. It is still an hours drive which is acceptable for train or bike commutes in our London lives but out here a 10 minute commute is a lot less stressful.




No comments:

Post a Comment