Saturday, September 12, 2009

Back from holiday


(NO! that is not Bug's pale and shriveled Great Grandma on the far right of his parentals, it is I at Elbow falls where we cycle from alot - 45 mins from home :-)

So we are back in Cowtown and I am over 12 weeks 'along' :-)

You know what? I was OK on this trip. I had very, very green days and one or two really bad days where I stayed in bed and did not go on any trips but all in all I have had a 'fluffy' time.

I ate more than usual. It always included porridge but my food repertoire expanded. A lot of things worked and some didn't. I was able to eat bread with bland cheese and sometimes tomato so Bug's Ma made me lots of nice cheese sandwiches to eat and we hid them in restaurants where I steathily ate them! I did also try more restaurant food. I liked a potato chowder in Lake Louise and apart from porridge stuck to that. I also discovered iced black tea - yuuuuuum! Fizzy water was the only other drink.



(ahhh this is the life! The Shuswap Lakes in BC...bliss :0)
(Map of the gino lakes system, it would take weeks to explore)
My favourite meal and time was a cheese sandwich in the middle of the Shuswap Lake in Sicamous, BC. Bug's pops hired a cool motor boat and we spent the day exploring that wonderful lake. It was bliss.


(There are many houses and cabins nestled among the trees in the shores of the Shuswap and access has to be by boat. What an adventure!)

I did fail at one meal in a french style restaurant in Revelstoke and paid the price all that night and the next day. That restauranter must hate my guts (literally). I was a fussy 'off the menu' customer in a fine place who loudly asked if
"they had any really bland cheese"
"erm no madame sorry"
They were actually thinking 'idiot, we are a fine diner with expensively imported cheeses from France, do you really think we would serve bland %@#*ing cheese'

Basically the bland cheese sandwich and home made quiches were a success. I did not eat a lot but I am pretty sure I maintained my body weight despite being more active than the past few weeks.

(Obviously I did not take this photo but this shows Glacier off in style!)

On the way home the weather was stunning and we had much better views of Glacier National Park. Glacier was stunning. The mountains rise steeply and wildly from the roads and you have to drive under avalanche tunnels - it is so wild in winter and no one lives here. We must come back to experience the back country here one day....with the juniors!


(Bug's parentals are very photogenic, here they are on Moraine Lake. Ned rowed for Cambridge Uni - the whole uni so this got competitive haha!)

It just goes to prove to me that I was eating waaay to much in the last two years. I am such a foodie. I love food (and wine) with a passion and love cooking. 77 kilos for my 5 week preg weight was too much (I am 5ft 10) and I was trying to loose five kilos. 3 1.2 years ago I weighed below 70 kilos constantly without even trying.

On the drive home we had to stop twice for me to puke and I started struggling with food again. Hmm I still wonder if I am mental as well. I know I have HG but how did I manage the last 2 weeks only to start to slide again???

No comments:

Post a Comment