Monday, January 25, 2010

24th Jan Uh Ooooh!

I was lying down upstairs today when I started having painful contractions about every 20 mins. Bug came up about the 5th cramp and could feel my belly clenching like a fist and solid.


We drove up to get checked out at our hospital’s L&D (you have to go there with any complications once you are 20 weeks preggo or the general ER staff throw a fit). I was not panicking as we are in a good week and doctors could always stop an early labour.


They carried out a fetal stress test on the juniors and measured my contractions. The sound of the juniors own heart beats made them physically bonkers and their heart rates were good at approx. 155 bpm, this is good, bradycardia with babies is a nono. The fetal activity was very positive, the worry is if they do not move as it indicates stress or worse. My cramp pains had of course stopped! However, they were concerned that I was still contracting every 10 minutes and the peak of the contraction was hitting the top of the graph. They were very surprised that I was in no pain but concluded that the machines are calibrated for women with a bit more fat over their uterus and the machine was picking up mine straight from the muscle. Rah! I have no fat on my belly heheh.


Anyway. After 3 hours on the machine and a cervix re-check (soft but closed) I came home.


I noticed something else at L&D. this is the second time I have been in for these reasons and the triage wards are always full but BUG is the only man who seems to accompany his woman. The others all have other women or are on their own. I am lucky, BUG sits there, holds my hand and reads his book. His eye brows raise a bit when he over hears women talking about ‘discharge’ ‘leaking vaginas’ and screaming like a dying animal (labour).


No comments:

Post a Comment